Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Touching Tale - 2

(Author's note. I know this is really low, but I am totally bored and I have no idea what to do with my time. And I seem to have run out of ideas. What is the difference between Naren and a lockjaw patient? One has a biter's lock. The other has writer's block)

I spent the evening in my friend Sudarshan's office.

Sudarshan is a hot shot entrepreneur, running a KPO and is razor sharp at decision making. One nice thing about Sudarshan is that he is very approachable.

So I wasn't surprised when a small mouse like girl came in and stood hemming and hawing

Sudarshan smilingly told her "Speak out, speak out, I'm not going to eat you".

I raised my eyebrow, old dirty mind me and got an angry frown in return from Sudarshan.

"Sir," squeaked the girl "my mother-in-law blah blah husbands cousin blah blah may I leave early today?"

"Done. You can leave at 5", said Sudarshan, smiling "and now get back to work."

She fled gratefully and we resumed our animated discussion on the state of the economy and the effect of the falling dollar on Sudarshan's bowel movements.

Soon another girl, foxier than the previous one, entered and brazenly asked for Friday off because she and her boyfriend were going out for the weekend and also wanted the company guest house in Lonavala which was available but Admin said need Sudarshan's ok.

Sudarhan thought for a moment and said, "Tell them to call me. I'll okay it. And you better be back on Monday!" She batted her eyelids, made a pout at Sudarshan and told him he was a sweetheart. As she left, Sudarshan made a grumpy face and said "All this work pressure and these people just want vacations. What am I to do?"

"You could have said no, couldn't you?" I asked

"I suppose I could, but sometimes you have to be careful about spoiling employee morale. Plus she's very efficient and she can handle everything I push at her. You have a dirty mind, Naren. That is not what I meant"

We had a cuppa and as I waited for Sudarshan to pack up, in came a smart young lad, one of their systems wizards, apparently.

"Boss, you'll have to give me a car", he said, in a whiny tone

Sudarshan raised his eyebrows.

"I don't like our agency's taxi service. Plus I NEED a cabin, boss, I need to command some respect. And that guy who makes the tea? He really needs to be sacked, he never gives me tea when I ask for it."


"Boss?" he enquired, for Sudarshan seemed strangely silent.

"Johnny," said Sudarshan, gritting his teeth, "you are not getting a single thing. If you don't like it around here, you can quit and you can quit now. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?"

Johnny slunk away without a word.

I didn't need to ask Sudarshan why he was so nasty to poor Johnny. I knew the reason. He had put all his begs in one ask-it

13 comments:

KD. K Bodhi said...

Nope! You could not be more wrong. As a really perceptive reader, I noticed that the first two favor seekers were women, albeit not your beauty contest winning women, but still women. The last person could have been a women, just that you stated, though only your smartest reader could recognize, that he was a man.

Lavanya said...

I really liked your post. But I don't understand ok's comment though.

V said...

i don't see anything wrong with the way the young lad was treated. i thought his demands were ridiculous. but the question remains, if the same demands were made by a woman, would the boss have obliged? that again depends on how hot the woman is.

KD. K Bodhi said...

Wow! Even I dont really understand what ok wrote:). I think so he meant

"Nope! You could not be more wrong. As a really perceptive reader, I noticed that the first two favor seekers were women, albeit not your beauty contest winning women, but still women. The last person could have been a women, just that you stated (though only your smartest reader could recognize) that he was a man."

KD. K Bodhi said...

Aww shucks! Its "I think he meant..". Drop the so

Bhel Puri & Seekh Kabab said...

Between the time the second girl left and the guy came in, the US dollar crashed drastically, thus impacting Sudarshan's bodily constitution in a very loose manner (please to see post for details).

Moral of the story: Never let your requests stand between you and your boss' movements.

Arun Sundar said...

"my mother-in-law blah blah husbands cousin blah blah may I leave early today?" lol!!

And was it the cup of tea that agitated Sudharshan's already moving bowel? ;)

Unknown said...

I agree with OK. It doesn't even really matter if the woman was hot or not, it's just the gender in concern. As for the guy, yeah, maybe he deserved it but then, what if it'd been a hot woman employee?

I loved the wordplay in the last line! :D

Cynic in Wonderland said...

is he hiring?

Preeti said...

Yup, I'm agreeing with OK and Drenched and V..(And it's nt cuz I have nothin else to say,I really AGREE with them)...

Bikerdude said...

All this would never happen in China.

unpredictable said...

Err wat a waste of sarcasm Mr Shenoy. I'm sending sighs your way. Alas only.

Anonymous said...

"He had put all his begs in one ask-it" Nice! :D
Another "Shenoy", I s'pose!