Thursday, January 29, 2009

Soofy Music


I'm off to a Soofy music festival in far away Rajasthan. Where did the impulse for this escapade come from, asked Mrs. Shenoy, when the flames had stopped coming from her nostrils. Your own brother in law, I said, with the air of one who has defused a time bomb. Tis true, friends. My companion for this trip is Sheela's twin sister's husband Mahesh, a polymath who is a whiz at
1. Music
2. Photography
3. Literature
4. Many other things

and
1. Does not drink
2. Does not lose his temper

As far as I know, he can't fly or rescue children from burning buildings but he's working on it

No, seriously, he has a great sense of humor and a very good singing voice. I'm looking forward to this trip with great enthusiasm. You can be sure I will post every single detail.

In other news, heres an excellent post on that musical genius, Hridaynath Mangeshkar, who has been awarded a Padmashri, same as Akshay Kumar. This is the real Mangeshkar. The pure genius. The one who has enriched mankind. One of two reasons I am glad I can read, write, speak and appreciate Marathi (the other being the incomparable P. L. Deshpande)

Cheers everyone. Be seeing ya soon!

P.S. Ogden Nash moment
I like soofy
Though that doesn't necessarily mean I'm goofy

10 comments:

SRK said...

jus hope one Mr. Gehlot doesn't announce that Soofy mujik is against Rajasthani culture, and send you right back :)

maxdavinci said...

will there be any women dancing with muslim women?

Just make sure, you are not close to them....

Anonymous said...

You're not going to believe this; one of my next couple posts was going to be about Pt. Hridaynath Mangeshkar, serious! I'm glad it won't anymore though, pitusultan (lol@name) has done a marvellous job as opposed to an amateur opinion piece that might have been. Sufi music, eh? :) Nice! See if you can recordit/get a record in some way? It'd be nice if you could put up an audiofile of a piece when you're back. Have fun! :)

rofl@max

-g

Susa said...

Shenoy saar, fashion shows and music festivals? Anytime now we might even be seeing you on page 3 of the Times :P

Anonymous said...

mrs. shenoy has a twin?! do they ever play sita and gita ?

Cynic in Wonderland said...

Have you ever heard his daughter? Radha I think her name is - lovely voice

Anonymous said...

Have fun! And when you come back, we'll be expecting kabir like couplets :

Oh how beautiful was the state of Rajasthaan
But what I liked best was their high quality paan

:)

Siddharth said...

Nice...

Actually this season is one of the better seasons to enjoy open air music! Couple of days ago there was amazing classical music at our campus in Ahmedabad and the experience is amazing.

Enjoy the soofi sounds sir!

- Sid

Pramod Shankar said...

There was a Sufi music festival in Bangalore too recently; the 3rd in a yearly series. It never fails to touch the soul. Hope the Rajastan one was awesome.

By the way I like the way you spell the word: 'Soofy'. Opens it up a little.

Narendra shenoy said...

Hi. Back to civilization, slumming it out in the ajit bhawan palace hotel www.ajitbhawan.com will be there with a report as soon as I can figure out how to make the internet stay with me